About Liquid Screed
Liquid screed is a calcium sulphate based screed which is delivered from the suppliers in truck mixers and placed onto the floor by pump.
Liquid floor screed is extremely efficient, fast and accurate and here at Screedafloor we will use our wealth of experience within the industry to ensure you receive the best results. The material of the liquid floor screed we use allows us to create a thinner screed within the room, allowing you to reach the desired temperature of the room quicker and more efficiently, even without the underfloor heating we provide. Liquid floor screed is also a lot more durable and stronger than a traditional screed.
Liquid screed is the most popular screed for use on all types of building projects due to the reduced installation time in comparison to traditional sand and cement screeds. It is also the best choice for underfloor heating due to the fact it flows around the pipes leaving no air gaps making the whole system much more effective both in performance and cost.
The Benefits of Liquid Floor Screed
Liquid floor screed is designed to give a smooth, level surface prior to the application of final floor finishes. It can be used bonded, unbonded or floated and with or without underfloor heating.
Benefits of Liquid Screed:
- The nature of the screed will provide a superior surface finish. Liquid screed has a high compressive strength which will allow installing at greatly reduced depths.
- Minimal drying shrinkage as it is not a cement based product. You can expect a virtually crack-free floor in comparison to traditional sand & cement screed.
- With liquid screed you are able to have light traffic within 24 hours.
- Liquid screed can be force-dried by turning the heat on in the applied area or by using de-humidifiers which would facilitate early installation of floor coverings.
- Liquid screed has extremely eco-friendly credentials. A large percentage of the liquid screed is manufactured using recycled material.
- Liquid screed can be installed at a much faster rate, therefore, enabling larger areas to be completed per day in comparison to traditional sand and cement screed.
Liquid Screed Specifications
Once a screed has been installed it needs time for residual moisture to dry out before sensitive floor coverings such as vinyl’s, floor tiles or wood floors can be laid. Drying time for a traditional sand and cement screed at 75mm (detailed by the British standard BS8204) is 110 days! In comparison, the drying time for a flowing screed at 55mm is only 70 days, a huge time saving in terms of your overall project.
Another advantage when using flowing screed is the flexibility in improving drying times further still through force drying. Many customers fall foul of laying floor coverings too early because they are on a tight schedule and are probably fed up with living out of boxes for the past however long! If floor coverings are laid too soon however, gradually over time moisture will escape up through the screed and begin to cause delamination of the sensitive floor covering. Unlike traditional screed, flowing screed can be force dried; this is achieved by turning the Underfloor Heating on only 7 days after installation. Optionally this process can be aided further still through the use of either halogen space heaters or dehumidifiers. This process of force drying a screed can reduce the drying time by up to half.
The minimum thickness requirements for liquid screed
* (as per BS 8204-7)
- Floating (Commercial) – 40mm
- Floating (Domestic) – 35mm
- Bonded – 25mm
- Unbonded – 30mm
- Underfloor Heating – 25mm min cover to pipes
Change the first sentence to: Here at Screedafloor, we suggest pairing our liquid floor screed with our underfloor heating to give you the perfect combination. When combining the two it produces high levels of thermal conductivity, making sure the heat stays within the room for as long as possible. It will also reduce your carbon footprint, making your floor as eco-friendly as possible.
We understand the stress that may come with having work done to your home or business. However, we will do everything we can to minimise any worries you may have and will always work on time and to schedule. Should you have any questions or queries at any time, all you need to do is give us a call and we will give you all the information you need.